Saturday, August 05, 2006

has it really been that long?

I had great intentions of staying caught up on blog, thinking that my laptop combined with relatively easy-to-find wifi would make it possible. Ha!

It was a problem with the drivers on my wireless card, then a problem with the power inverter that allowed me to charge the laptop using the cigarette lighter in the car. Once that was sorted out, it was a case of not being within wifi range, or not having the laptop with me, or conditions being too wet and/or sandy for safe computer use.

Anyway, I finally have most of those issues sorted out, at least long enough for a brief, long overdue blog update!

After spending a few days camping out at the coast, we headed inland and spent 2 nights with Larry's aunt in Oregon's Willamette Valley. It was so nice to sleep in a real bed again, and I got all our laundry done, although it took me 2 full days to do it all! We had a great time with Aunt Shirley, and Larry's cousins and their families. I can't wait to get out there and visit them all again sometime soon.

On Saturday we got the call for Larry to start his new job the next day, so we high-tailed it to Portland to pick up our 2nd car (and my mother) and headed back to the coast.

My mom camped out with us for 2 nights and we had a lot of fun taking the kids to the beach, checking out some of the northern coastal towns, and laughing at the absurdity of the conditions at the campground we were staying at.

On Wed. I drove my mom back to Portland, which is a nice 2 hour drive from here. Early the next morning, after one last cold and uncomfortable night in the tent, we moved into a small camper/trailer that we are renting until we can find some housing in the town where Larry works. Right now rentals are hard to find, but in a few weeks the summer tourist season will be petering out and we should have our pick of houses to rent.

In the meantime, the 6 of us plus the dog are living in very cramped quarters. It's amazing how your frame of reference can change, though, after a week of camping out along the road. This place with 4 sturdy walls and creature comforts like electricity, a kitchen and bathroom, actual furniture to sit and lay on, seems like luxury comparatively.

Larry is finishing up his first week of work at an oceanfront resort/restaurant. He likes the work, and the company has lots of room for advancement plus nice benefits.

In the meantime, I haven't started looking for work yet as I'm not comfortable leaving the kids here alone with Britt in charge. School starts soon, so I will probably wait until then to look for work.

So for now it's lots of hours at the beach, it still seems like a dream that the ocean is just a couple of blocks away and we can go there as often as we want. Free! I can't even put into words how time spent at the sea soothes and heals me. I feel at peace there. I feel at home.

pictures to follow, pending blogger's cooperation!


Blogger Mary Jo said...

Hey Molly - glad you are all settling in!

August 09, 2006 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home