Friday, May 19, 2006

friday is all about me...

Friday's *me* day here on the blog, meaning I get to talk about me. As opposed to the other 6 days of the week, where I talk about everything else. And how it relates to....me.

This is going to be brief because I have about a trillion other things I need to be doing right now.

For those of you who don't know, I live in a small city in MT, which is a small state in terms of population. The economy here is depressed, to put it mildly. I found out today about 2 more locally owned businesses that just can't keep their heads above water any more. One closed quite recently, almost overnight. The other will be closed by this time next month. It is just really sad, in both cases I had shopped there since virtually the very day they opened, and I know it had to be a very hard decision that lead to closing.

I love the small, locally owned specialty shops. They have selection and variety and service that (usually) can't be beat. But with places like WalMart and other "big box" stores that can so drastically undercut the small business owner's prices, it is almost an impossible situation for the SBO. At the same time, my family is living on one income right now and we don't have extra money to throw around. As much as I like the smaller stores, it is both less expensive and more convenient for me to shop at a larger "one stop shop" type establishment.

Anyway, that's what's on my mind this afternoon. I'm going to try to make an effort to support more locally owned businesses whenever possible. It's sad to see someone's dreams, hopes, goals, time, and money be lost when their business fails.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Jo said...

I actually live the opposite of you :) urban living at it's finest. Not one of your bigger cities like New york or even Chicago but we are definitely in the city. As far as the smaller, locally owned it's the same though. We try to support those as well because the eclectic mix in the city is so fun!

May 20, 2006 5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home