Friday, April 07, 2006

Sorry I haven't been around much the last couple of days. We're having some hard times here right now, and it's been a departure from business-as-usual.

First, Larry's dad. As you may recall, he was diagnosed with metastatic large cell lung cancer several months ago. I haven't talked about it much here because last summer it seems like almost every single entry I did was about my Grandma's cancer, her dying, and her death. It's still really raw, so it's been especially hard for me to revisit the same issues again so soon with Larry's dad. Also, his parents live in Nevada rather than right here in town like Grandma did, so it has been a little more distant and not so all-consuming.

Anyway, Harold (Larry's dad) has been trying chemo, but he has other medical problems outside the cancer and that combined with the side effects of chemo have been pretty debilitating for him, so he hasn't been able to have chemo on the regular recommended schedule. He is over 80 years old and in poor health, and the chemo at best will buy him a little more time.

God, I keep catching myself getting off track and going into way too much detail! sorry about that. Last night Harold starting having a lot of trouble breathing, so June (my MIL) called 911 and they came and took him to their local hospital. They couldn't treat him there, so he was airlifted to Vegas and diagnosed with congestive heart failure.
June is a wreck, Larry and his siblings are all making their variious travel arrangements to get there ASAP, and nobody really knows if he's going to get better for a while or if this is really the end.
Add that to the fact that we're really broke right because I'm not working, and Larry doesn't have any paid vacation time coming yet, and it's a major financial stress for him to go down there. Yet he wants and needs to get there to say goodbye to his Dad and help support his mom. So Larry might be leaving as soon as tomorrow, or maybe not until later in the week, or maybe not at all.
I don't function well when things are so unsure, it just gets me bent all out of shape.

Secondly, and this really isn't a big deal compared to Larry's dad dying, but our dog is really sick. 2 nights ago she started having diarreah (sorry for the grossness, and watch out because it's about to get worse). Then she started throwing up some clear, frothy bubbly stuff. Then yesterday all day she pretty much slept, no more diarreah that I know of. Last night, though, she had something happen. I don't know what it was, but there was a large puddle of bloddy something in the laundry room (not carpeted, thank god), and small patches of blood or bloddy something all through the bedroom on the way to (or from) the laundry room.

Besides the utter disgusting grossness, this is obviously not good and I'm really worried about her. Today she is pretty much acting fine, we were gone all morning and came home to no messes or puddles of anything anywhere. I absolutely can't afford to take her to the vet right now, unless she is really obviously suffering, so it's a waiting game. I feel awful, though, that she's sick and I have no idea what happened or if she's dying or what.

So, not good times here right now. Please keep us in your thoughts and if you have any advice about the dog please let me know! It's horrible, when we came home she didn't come running to the door like she usually does and I was afraid I'd find her dead somewhere when we came in.

Just wanted to add that we just found out Harold had a heart attack sometime last night, it's hard to get good info because June is so shook up and basically confused (and elderly) that she just doesn't understand a lot. Larry's oldest brother will be there tonight or this afternoon, and his youngest brother will be there tomorrow morning. The 2nd brother will be there Sunday morning, still no decision from his sister about whether she'll fly down from Alaska right now or wait a little longer. Still no decision on our part about what Larry's doing, we're waiting and trying to get more info and hopefully a chance to talk to Harold's dr. or a nurse to get better info to base a decision on.

{2nd update}
Just found out he also now has a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung). It's nuts, he's *still* in the ER almost 24 hours later as they wait for a room to open up at the hospital. I thought that kind of thing only happened on ER, lol!


Post a Comment

<< Home