Thursday, March 09, 2006

and the U2 world explodes....

From u2.com:
Vertigo '06: Final Dates Postponed.It is with great regret that tour promoter The Next Adventure announces the postponement of the final ten dates of U2's Vertigo '06 tour. This action is unavoidable due to the illness of an immediate family member of one of the band. The effected dates are listed below.'Any fan of U2 will realise that this decision has not been taken lightly', said TNA President Arthur Fogel. 'We will announce further details as soon as we have them.'The effected shows, which are all sold out, are: March 17th & 18th, Ericcson Stadium AUCKLAND; 21st, Queensland Sports & Athletics Centre BRISBANE; 24TH & 25TH, Telstra Dome, MELBOURNE; 28th, AAMI Stadium ADELAIDE; 31st & 1st April, Telstra Stadium, SYDNEY; 4th, Nissan Stadium YOKOHAMA; 8th Aloha Stadium, HONOLULU.We'll bring you more news on U2.Com as we get it.

If you're not a u2 freak like I am, you might not realize how devastating this news is. Last year the start of this tour was postponed due to the Edge's young daughter, Sian, being diagnosed with leukemia. There is no official confirmation at this point, but lots of speculation that her health has taken a turn for the worse now. I'm trying not to assume it's her, and I hope to god it's not, but it's hard to not think that's what's going on. I can't adequately put into words how much this band means to me, and to other fans all over the world. Their music has gotten me through the worst, darkest times in my life, and I can only hope that they in turn will feel the love and support they have from fans like me.

The only worse news that could come from the u2 camp would be that we had lost a band member. The u2 world is a lot like a family, and news this sad and upsetting has just set of all kinds of bombs all over the place.

You have to know, u2 would never cancel a show, let alone a series of shows, without good reason. In 2001 when they were doing the Elevation tour Bono's dad was dying of lung cancer in Dublin, and they didn't cancel or postpone a single show. Not one. Even on the day that Bob (Bono's dad) died, they did a concert in London. This band is incredibly devoted to their fans and would never make a move like this unless it was a dire situation.

I'll update here as soon as I know anything more, but they are understandably protective of their families and especially if it is a child that's sick I don't expect any official report at all. Rumors, of course, are flying all over the place.

Here's a pic I took of the Edge when I saw them last April in Seattle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home