Monday, August 22, 2005

Grandma's obit appeared in yesterday's paper, but I was disappointed to see that they had edited it and also left out the photo of her. I could understand if they had to edit for space, but they didn't really make it any shorter, just rearranged some facts and reworded some areas. That really bugs me because I had worked hard on rewriting it to get it the way I wanted it. Really not a big deal, but it was disappointing to see it changed.

Yesterday was an ok day for me, until I started looking through photos to display at the Celebration of Life after the funeral. Those pics really got to me, seeing all the holidays and birthdays we had at her house, and knowing we won't do that again. I did find a lot of great pics, though, and it's going to be nice to have them on display for everyone to see and look over her life and loved ones.

I went to view her body on Saturday, it was the first time I have seen a dead body in person. It didn't look like her at all. I didn't really feel her there and I didn't feel the need to say goodbye to the body as I left the room. It really was just like a piece of furniture or some other inanimate object.

I was really upset to find out that my Dreaded Aunts have arranged to have Grandma cremated, even though she made it really clear to everyone involved that she did NOT want that. Eileen says G. changed her mind during her last days, but I don't believe that for a minute. It's all about the money for them. It is really sickening and upsetting to me that they would ignore her final wishes and have her body cremated, but after spending the weekend trying to change it I came to the conclusion that I have done all I can and in the end they won out. I did my best to have Grandma's wishes followed, and I know that if she is upset at the cremation she will not blame me. I also feel pretty strongly that she probably realizes, as I do, that her body is just a shell and it really doesn't matter what happens to that shell now that she's not there any more.

I believe Colleen, the older Dreaded Aunt, has decided not to stay for the funeral and has already left town, in Grandma's car. This is most likely prompted by the fact that the 'Leens plundered Grandma's safe deposit box this morning and found a copy of her will. I haven't read it for myself yet, or had it read directly to me, but family rumor has it that the aunt's are angry because Grandma left almost her entire estate to her grandchildren. She named all 3 of her daughters in the will, but didn't leave them any large amount of money or valuable property. All I can say is payback is a bitch ladies! They so got what they deserve, if that is the case. As for me, it means one last helping hand from Grandma, a chance to move out of Great Falls and make a new start somewhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home